Saturday, July 25, 2009

Hudson Fellowship Day 19

Katerskill Lower Falls Color Sketch
9 x 12
oil on linen

We had a huge thunderstorm last night and as a result the falls were the highest and fastest I have seen them. Recently they'd slowed to almost a trickle in some places. I feel like this section of the falls has become my own studio. I've walked over every one of the rocks here many times now and I know several bends of the river pretty well. When hikers decide to wade in the pools and climb on the rocks, I feel like strangers have wandered into my studio and are touching my props.

Above: Block-in line drawing and first part of color wash.

Above: Thin color wash, consistency of watercolor.

Above: Refining blocks of color and shapes, adding details.

Above: Added details and adjusted colors and values.